10 Apr Dan John – 40 Years With A Whistle
(#279) Renowned strength coach and multi-book author, Dan John, returns to the podcast to discuss his latest book, 40 Years with a Whistle.
Dan John is one of the top coaches in the industry and a person who has impacted me personally at a very high level, both as an athlete and coach.
His books are some of the most highly-utilized resources in my home library and that says a lot about the value he provides to coaches, trainers, and athletes around the world.
As always, I learn something new and valuable in each conversation. This is a special interview with amazing insights and lessons from his life and his new book.
Here’s what you’ll this week:
- How Dan’s NEW book compares to his previous work
- A quick overview of ALL his great books
- How the idea came together for 40 Year with a Whistle
- An overview and framework of the new book
- How the new book has been “writing itself” since 1972
- The difference between a mentor and a coach
- What is a coach? The surprising answer
- What is the important job of a mentor?
- The best places to find mentors
- How I read Dan’s books
- Why Dan’s books are “un-put-down-able”
- One of Dan’s great lessons about writing great content
- Why Constant Assessment and Constant Upgrading are essential
- What it really means to Work O-U-T
- Why there’s no such thing as a “perfect” anything
- Why “everything works” for about 6 weeks
- Things Dan is working to constantly upgrade
- Goals vs Success
- What is true success?
- The impact and mentorship Tim Anderson
- The story of Connacht Rugby mentored Dan
- Why Dan hates when people think his work is “simple”
- The true secret to coaching (the hardest part of coaching)
- What is snap-a-city?
- Dan’s take on exercise and fat loss
- Who Dan wrote the new book for
- What he hopes readers take away 40 Years
- What Dan says his great coaches did for him
- *The top 3 things that Dan says makes a great coach
- What’s next for Dan after the new book
- Specific training examples that Dan is working on…
- What is the art of re-reading?
- Dan’s closing advice on “making a difference”
- “The hardest workout I know” by Dan John
Get value from the podcast?
Then, please take a minute to review the show. It’s fast and easy to do. To see how to post a review in Apple Podcasts, go to RdellaTraining.com/review
The Rdella Training® Podcast is published each week with valuable training information and amazing interviews with many “world-class” coaches, experts, and authors in the fitness industry.
MY OWN “DAN JOHN” BOOK LIBRARY
The Rdella Training Podcast is committed to helping athletes and fitness enthusiasts consistently evolve, grow, and become the strongest and best version of themselves. We teach intelligent training and lifestyle for serious fitness enthusiasts and dedicated lifters all over the world.“I want to learn, I want to ask questions, I want to be better.” - Dan John Click To Tweet
What makes a coach great?
2-You can’t quit on yourself or your athletes.
3-Ask questions & constantly assess.
SHOW NOTES AND LINKS:
- One Lift A Day on T-Nation
- 40 Years and 40 Lessons on T-Nation
- From Dad To Grad
- Wrestling Physical Conditioning Encyclopedia
- Keys To Progress
- Weightlifting, Olympic Style by Tommy Kono
- The Top 10 Podcasts on Rdella Training
Spread the word! Please share this on Facebook, Twitter or anywhere you’d like.