28 Feb Dr. Eric Trexler – The Science And Practice of Improving Body Composition
(#276) Dr. Eric Trexler joins the show this week to discuss the science and practice of bodybuilding, as well as share key advice for improving body composition.
Dr. Eric Trexler is the Director of Education at Stronger by Science.
He is a natural pro bodybuilder, researcher (recently completing his PhD with more than 30 publications), and is a passionate coach.
Eric is a scientist and competitive bodybuilder who brings great perspective, experience, and passion to the show this week in discussing the latest in fat loss and muscle building.
Here’s what you’ll learn this week:
- Eric’s story of how he got into bodybuilding
- His latest role with StrongerByScience
- What he’s learned in the area of body composition research
- The downside of research in bodybuilding (and what works)
- What we can learn from bodybuilding research
- The hormonal changes that occur with contest preparation
- The dangers of low-protein diets
- Macronutrient ratios to consider for optimal body comp
- What’s the fat intake that Eric recommends
- The problems with cardio and fat loss
- What to know about the “interference effect”
- Is Cardio really necessary for fat loss? Eric’s experience
- How Eric likes to track food intake
- Eric’s own mistakes in meal planning and preparation
- The big lessons Eric learned from Dr. Layne Norton
- Thoughts on powerlifting versus bodybuilding
- The importance of powerlifting programming
- What he likes most about the sport of bodybuilding
- How bodybuilding a life changing event for Eric
- Why he decided to do a bodybuilding competition
- Who he works with in his coaching programs
- Common mistakes in working towards fat loss
- The biggest misconception about the initial phase of weight loss
- What drives hypertrophy the most?
- As a bodybuilder, how important is technique?
- The 3 best supplements for bodybuilding?
- Closing advice…
- The inside scoop about his upcoming article series
Get value from the podcast?
Then, please take a minute to review the show. It’s fast and easy to do. To see how to post a review in Apple Podcasts, go to RdellaTraining.com/review
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW THE SHOW ON APPLE PODCASTS
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW THE SHOW ON STITCHER
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON GOOGLE PLAY
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON OVERCAST
The Rdella Training® Podcast is published each week with valuable training information and amazing interviews with many “world-class” coaches, experts, and authors in the fitness industry.
The Rdella Training Podcast is committed to helping athletes and fitness enthusiasts consistently evolve, grow, and become the strongest and best version of themselves. We teach intelligent training and lifestyle for serious fitness enthusiasts and dedicated lifters all over the world.
SHOW NOTES AND LINKS:
- About Dr. Eric Trexler
- My Fitness Pal – App
- Article on Nitric Oxide
- Sapiens – BOOK
- @TrexlerFitnesss on Instagram
DID YOU GET YOUR MOBILITY FIX?
Spread the word! Please share this on Facebook, Twitter or anywhere you’d like.