13 Feb Lee Taft – Essentials Of Speed Development
(#275) Renowned speed coach and expert, Lee Taft, joins the show this week to discuss what everyone needs to know about how to develop speed.
Lee Taft, known to many as “The Speed Guy” is highly regarded as one of the top athletic movement specialists in the world. The last 30 years, he has devoted the majority of his time training multi-directional speed to all ages and abilities.
This is an extremely valuable episode for all athletes, coaches, and parents to learn from one of the most respected names in the area of speed training. This is a special session, as I’ve been a huge fan of the tremendous work by Coach Taft for several years.
You’ll discover many insights and training pearls in the episode this week.
Here’s some of what you’ll learn in the session:
- How Lee got started with coaching speed?
- Who he learned from? Lee’s top mentor
- The #1 thing Lee did to learn and develop as a coach
- Do naturally fast athletes need to learn to run?
- Is speed training a missing component from youth sports?
- Before training for speed, athletes must have what attributes?
- How strength training works with speed training
- Misunderstandings of speed and reactive training
- Is there such a thing as a “False Step?”
- What are the technical aspects of speed that can be taught?
- Key mistakes to avoid when teaching speed
- The neural process of learning…
- The Reactive Tier System for speed – and how to use it
- Do speed coaches generally agree or disagree on speed philosophies?
- What do parents need to know about youth speed training?
- Does Lee ever formally train his kids? (His interesting answer)
- Why “no pain, no gain” is a bad decision
- How Lee incorporates speed into a strength & conditioning program
- A step-by-step example of a speed training session
- The 3 primary things we train for
- How long does it take to learn fundamentals of speed?
- What resources Lee recommends for Parents? For Coaches?
- Awesome actionable closing advice…
Get value from the podcast?
Then, please take a minute to review the show. It’s fast and easy to do. To see how to post a review in Apple Podcasts, go to RdellaTraining.com/review
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW THE SHOW ON APPLE PODCASTS
SUBSCRIBE AND REVIEW THE SHOW ON STITCHER
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON GOOGLE PLAY
LISTEN AND SUBSCRIBE ON OVERCAST“Everybody has a different gift in the profession. I’m able to see things really well.” - Lee TaftClick To Tweet
The Rdella Training® Podcast is published each week with valuable training information and amazing interviews with many “world-class” coaches, experts, and authors in the fitness industry.
The Rdella Training Podcast is committed to helping athletes and fitness enthusiasts consistently evolve, grow, and become the strongest and best version of themselves. We teach intelligent training and lifestyle for serious fitness enthusiasts and dedicated lifters all over the world.
SHOW NOTES AND LINKS:
- Lee Taft’s YouTube Channel
- Speed Insider’s Academy
- Complete Sports Training (BOOK)
- Complete Speed Training
DID YOU GET YOUR MOBILITY FIX?
Spread the word! Please share this on Facebook, Twitter or anywhere you’d like.